Geriatric Education for Emergency Medical Services (GEMS): 2nd Edition eBook - NAEMT
The National Association of EMTs has partnered with Jones & Bartlett Learning and the American Geriatrics Society to develop the second edition GEMS course. A team of experienced EMS educators and clinicians serving as members of NAEMT’s GEMS Committee has designed a course that prepares EMS practitioners to respond to the unique challenges and needs of an older patient. The course aims to empower practitioners with geriatric specific training to help them improve the medical outcomes and quality of life for these patients.
Geriatric Education for Emergency Medical Services (GEMS), Second Edition builds off the previous edition and includes expanded content that will cover new areas addressed in the National EMS Education Standards, including mobile integrated healthcare and disasters.
The GEMS course is an innovative, comprehensive, and highly interactive 1-day course for both BLS and ALS providers with:
- Case-based lectures
- Live action video
- Hands-on skill stations
- Small group scenarios
- The introduction of a one-day, 8 hour “core” provider course
- More geriatric specific information included in the lectures
- New lecture on Disasters and the associated needs of older patients
- New lecture on Mobile Integrated Healthcare-Community Paramedicine and the opportunity to make a difference with older patients
- New videos covering Elder Abuse, MIH-CP and Trauma
Are you ready to get started with GEMS? Complete the NAEMT Instructor Course and learn more about the simple steps to become a GEMS instructor here. Learn more about becoming an NAEMT course site here.